Dr. Thomas EscherPartner
Graduate Chemist | Dr. rer. nat.
Patent Attorney | European Patent and Trademark Attorney | Started his career with dompatent 2003
German, English, French
Chemistry, including pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry, life sciences, biotechnology, consumer goods, polymer chemistry, electrochemistry, nanotechnology; organic chemistry including synthesis, cosmetics, construction chemistry, adhesives, materials and inorganic chemistry, including ceramics, semiconductors, coatings, electronic components, metallurgy, alloys, and chemical process engineering, including particularly 3D printing and physical and chemical processes
- Advice on establishing IP rights portfolios of national and international patents, trademarks and designs
- Defense of both domestic and international IP rights in opposition, invalidity and cancellation proceedings
- Provision of technical and strategic advice in the area of both domestic and international IP rights infringement
- Advice on and conducting of negotiations regarding out-of-court settlements in IP rights disputes
- Preparation of infringement opinions
- Enforces property rights in court
- Defense and enforcement of IP rights at trade fairs
- Representation in legal disputes prior to and at trade fairs
- Advice on strategies for the registration of designs and trademarks
- Representation in design matters before the design authorities and courts
- Advice on and preparation of filing and legal dispute strategies in Asia
- Conducting opposition and invalidity proceedings against patents
- Advice on matters relating to research, development and licensing agreements
- Establishment of freedom-to-operate opinions
- Preparation of IP due diligence analyses
- Preparation of validity opinions
Degree in Chemistry at the Universities of Bielefeld, Heidelberg and Bristol (UK), doctorate – Many years’ experience in the patent department of an international consumer goods manufacturer – Patent attorney training at dompatent von Kreisler and admission as a German patent attorney – training to become a Professional Representative before the European Patent Office and admission as a European Patent Attorney, training and admission as an authorised representative before the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
Chamber of German Patent Attorneys (Patentanwaltskammer), epi, VPP, AIPPI, FICPI, Association of German Chemists (GDCh)
Tutor at the Centre d’Études Internationales de la Propriété Industrielle (CEIPI) in Strasbourg and Cologne for European Patent Law. Consultant for patent-related topics in the areas of chemistry and pharmaceuticals – Consultant for trademark-related topics – Voluntary consultation for inventors at the Chamber of Industry & Commerce in Cologne – Voluntary adviser for patent law matters at selected events at Cologne Trade Fair and Exhibition Center.